Three Book Reviews

Remember way back in January when I set
a goal to read 5 different books: A Mystery, 
a Classic, a book for "Young Readers", 
a Self-Help, and an Award Winning book?

Well its ok if you don't remember because 
 I almost forgot about my my own goal! 

But I'm happy to say I've read 3 out of the 5 on my 
list and still have a quarter of the year left to go.

So here is a review of the three I've read so far:


Image from Amazon



Catcher in the Rye - A Classic:
I started and restarted this book three times. It's written in first person from the perspective of the main character, whose name is Holden.
I had such a hard time with the narrative (and the book) because it took me a while to figure out if I liked Holden as a person or not. 
About half way through the book though, he started to tug at my heart stings and I couldn't help but hope the best for him. 
This is one of my favorite parts of the novel: 
"It was raining like hell and we were out on her porch, and all of a sudden this booze hound her mother was married to came out on the porch and asked Jane if there were any cigarettes in the house. He had a lousy personality. Anyway, old Jane wouldn't answer him when he asked her if she knew where there was any cigarettes. So the guy asked her again, but she still wouldn't answer him. She didn't even look up from the game. Finally the guy went inside the house. When he did, I asked Jane what the hell was going on. She wouldn't even answer me, then. She made out like she was concentrating on her next move in the game and all. Then all of a sudden, this tear plopped down on the checkerboard. I don't know why, but it bothered hell out of me. So what I did was, I went over and made her move over on the glider so that I could sit down next to her – I practically sat down in her lap, as a matter of fact. Then she really started to cry, and the next thing I knew, I was kissing her all over—anywhere—her eyes, her nose, her forehead, her eyebrows and all, her ears—her whole face except her mouth and all. She sort of wouldn't let me get to her mouth. Anyway, it was the closest we ever got to necking. I asked her if Mr. Cudahy – that was the booze hound's name – had ever tried to get wise with her. She was pretty young, but she had this terrific figure, and I wouldn't've put it past that Cudahy bastard. She said no, though. I never did find out what the hell was the matter. Some girls you practically never find out what's the matter." 
                      


                     ***                         




Image from Amazon
                     



We Were Liars  - A Mystery: 
This was also written in first person through the eyes (and unreliable mind) of Cadence Sinclair Eastman. 
I have never read anything like this before. The style of this book was completely foreign to me. It's poetic, beautiful, and tragic all at once. It really pulled me in and I soaked up all the artistic imagery, while at the same time falling in love with the story. 
But when I got to the end and the mystery was revealed, I was so crushed that I literally could not talk to anyone about it for three days. I threw the book in a drawer and still haven't touched it, and now I can't even decided if I like the book or not.
There are so many quotable lines in this novel - it's hard to pick a favorite! I like this one though: 
"We looked at the sky. So many stars, it seemed like a celebration, a grand, illicit party the galaxy was holding after the humans had been put to bed." 


***



from: The Tip Toe Fairy.com



All the Light We Cannot See - An Award Winner: 
After finishing this book I could not stop thinking about it! For two weeks it was all I wanted to talk about. 
The story is told in a nonlinear fashion, which at first I found slightly annoying, but as the story progressed I was amazed that the author could spin together such an amazing story this way. The nonlinear form created the most dramatic and emotional effect. The story had me quickly turning pages from the very beginning, but it took a while for me to get attached to the characters - I'm not exactly sure why. Mostly, I just felt like I was watching them from a distance, but towards the beginning of the end I realized I was hooked. 
There is so much beautiful language throughout this novel, it's hard to pick a favorite quote so here's two: 
 
"To men like that. time was a surfeit, a barrel they watched slowly drain. When really, he thinks, it's a glowing puddle you carry in your hands; you should spend all your energy protecting it. Fighting for it. Working so hard not to spill one single drop."
"Don't you want to be alive before you die?"  

***

Have you read any of these books? What did you think of them? 
I'd love to hear from you - even if you have 
a different opinion than mine! 

Have you read anything that you've fallen in love with lately? 


2 comments

  1. we should do a book club - i love your goal of reading more and your thoughts on each book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We should definitely start a book club! :)

    ReplyDelete