25th Birthday + 25 Random Acts of Kindness

Ever since I turned twenty I've had a 
really hard time with my birthday. 
I know. People tell me I'm crazy (maybe I am) 
and that I should NOT be feeling sad about 
my birthday because I'm still young.  

Maybe they are right - but it still doesn't help. 
Each year when my birthday came around 
I would spend the majority of the day feeling really down. 

This year, I knew I had to do something different. 

I had read about people doing Random Acts of Kindness 
on their birthday and I really liked the idea because 
I felt like it would be the perfect thing to distract me 
from dwelling on the fact that I'm another year older.

Plus, if in the process of celebrating my birthday, 
I could help other people have a better day 
then it's a win-win for everyone. 


I asked, my twin sister, Chantel if she'd like to celebrate 
our birthday together doing Random Acts of Kindness, and together we came up with this list of 25 acts - one for each year we've been alive. 


Photo credit: heather a. stillufsen 


Free Acts of Kindness: 
1. Compliment a stranger. 
2. Collect all the shopping carts in a parking lot. 
3. Let people go in front of you at a checkout stand.
4. Write inspirational quotes with chalk on the sidewalk
5. Hold the door open for someone. 
6. Write kind words on sticky notes and leave them on a public bathroom mirror
7. Tell a Random parent that you think they are doing a good job with their kids.
8. Facebook message a genuine compliment to three people.
9. Write your husband a list of things you love about him.




Acts of Kindness that cost money: 
10. Doorbell Ditch someone with a note that says "You've been Ding Dong Ditched"  - $2.00
and leave Hostess Ding Dongs
11. Buy (dessert - some cookies) for the person behind you at Subway or McDonalds - $3.00
12. Leave a dollar inside the Red Box Movie Case with a note.   - $1.00
13. Plant Wild Flower Seeds in an abandoned field.  - $7.00 (from Lowes)
14. Leave coloring books and crayons at a hospital.  - $2.00
15. Pay $5 dollars to someone's purchase at the DI.  - $5.00
16. Leave some quarters at a Laundry Mat with a note.  - $1.00
17. Leave a flower or balloon on someone's car with a note. - $1.00
18. Leave a dollar on a vending machine with a note.  - $1.00 
19. Deliver treats to the firefighters - $20.00
20. Leave a dollar in a book at the Library with a note. - $1.00
21. Leave a dollar at the dollar store with a note.  - $1.00
22. Donate a dog toy to the humane Society - ONLY during business hours -$11.00
23. Leave a bag of popcorn at a Red Box with a note - Free- (we have some already.)
24. Leave the Mailman a box of Cookies - $2.00
25. Leave baby wipes on a changing table in a public bathroom with a note - $2.00

Bonus Free Acts (in case we can't get others done) 
26. Offer to carry or load someone's groceries out to the car. 
27. Email or write an old teacher who made a difference in your life
28. Write someone a letter. Like a real letter, on paper. And mail it!
29. Give away stuff for free on Craigslist.
30. Play board games with senior citizens at a nursing home. 
31. Tell your siblings how much you appreciate them.

Shopping/ To Do List:

27 "Notes" about the random act of kindness
Chalk -Already Have
Sticky Notes - Already Have
Hostess Ding Dongs $2.00 
Wild Flower Seeds - Lowes $7.00
Coloring Book - Dollar Store $1.00
Crayons - Dollar Store $1.00
Balloon - Dollar Store $1.00
Dog Chew Toy - It needs to be a specific kind called "KONGs" $11.00
Bag of Popcorn -Already Have
Package of Chocolate Chip cookies - $2.00
Baby Wipes $2.00
Gift ribbon/bow $1.00
Donuts from Rodger's Bakery $20.00
$13.0 in dollar bills $1.00 in quarters 

Total:  $62.00


We are the worst "bloggers" ever because we
 didn't get ANY pictures of the experience!

But I will tell you about some of my favorite ones. 

#6. Write kind words on sticky notes and leave 
them on a public bathroom mirror: 
We wrote these quotes on sticky notes and left them on 
the mirrors in the wal-mart women's bathroom: 
"Your outer appearance doesn't always reflect your inner worth." and "You are more than beautiful. You are important."

#11. Buy cookies for the person behind you at McDonald's:
We pulled up to the McDonald's drive-up and told the employee that we'd like to buy a total of four cookies but that we wanted 
to give two cookies to the couple in the car in front of us. 
The couple seemed so happy! They kept giving us thumbs up and i think it really made their day. Then when we pulled up to the window to receive our two cookies, the McDonald's employee said he still wanted to give us four. Ha! 
Guys, this is the easiest Random Act of  Kindness and super cheap. But it makes people so happy. 
I think I might do it every time I go to McDonald's 
(which isn't very often- but still)

#13 Plant wildflower seeds in an abandoned field.
 At the bottom of our street is an entrance to the park that sits between two homes. The county maintains the landscape of the park but the entrance is completely neglected. We decided this would be the perfect place to plant the wildflower seeds, because the land doesn't seem to belong to anyone.
The bag we purchased was large enough to cover 200 square feet. This area is probably about 50 square feet - but we still used the entire bag. I just hope that it works. It would make the entire street much more beautiful. I can't wait to see if those flowers bloom year after year in memory of our birthday. 


We had so much fun doing these Random Acts of Kindness, 
that Chantel asked if we could do this to 
celebrate our birthday every year. 

And guess what guys? No tears over here. 
Yes I'm another year older and I'm no longer 
considered to be in my "early" twenties, but 
somehow that's okay.   




Happy 25 years! 


***


Have you ever done a Random Act of Kindness? 
What's your favorite one to do? OR
has a Random Act of Kindness ever been done to you? 

Feel free to share! I'd love to hear about it!

1 comment

  1. I read this post. Its just perfect about the creation and the use of the video in many fields. Thank you so much for the post. Simple Acts of Kindness

    ReplyDelete