Three things I wish I knew at 18 + a Link-Up


Most teenagers look forward to their 18th birthday for years.
It means that they will have freedom-
freedom to start their own lives and make their own decisions.

Big transitions are made during this time, 
which is both exciting and scary.

Looking back on my life, this was one of 
the few times I felt entirely lost.
There seemed to be so many possibilities and choices - 
and I just felt overwhelmed.

Becoming an "adult" can be a difficult. 
I can't tell you what you should do for
 your career or what the answers are to the
 difficult choices you're about to make, 
but I have thought about a few
 things that I've learned sense I turned 
eighteen and I wanted to share them with all of you.


Below are the three things I wish I knew when I was 18:








1. Trust your life's unique time schedule

When I was eighteen I had all my major 
life milestones planned out: 
I would graduate from college at 23, 
be married by 24, travel around the world, 
and then have my first child at 27.

 It was the perfect plan -
except it didn't work out ! 
(surprise, surprise)

Things don't always go according to our plans. And that's ok!

I wish at 18 someone would have told 
me to trust my life's unique time schedule.

Realize that your life probably won't unfold 
the way that you imagined it.
If you don't reach a specific milestone by 
the time you were hoping or 
if life throws you a curve ball, please know 
that there is nothing wrong with you!

Everyone will reach different milestones 
in life at different times. So, try not to compare 
your life to others, and don't stress if you seem
 to be in a different place than everyone else.

Trust that your life's journey will take you to the places
you need to be -when you need to be there.
And try to find joy, no matter what stage of life you are in.


2. Your friendships will change


This was one of the hardest things for me to accept,

but as sad as it is, your friendships will change.

So, don't be afraid of making new friends as 
you transition to this new phase of life.
Some of my closest friends now, are people that
 I didn't know in high school.

But (if you're lucky) you may still have, 
a couple of the same friends you had at eighteen -
 but your actual friendships will probably be different.

What I mean by that is; you may not see each other 
as much or depend on each other as often.

So, try your best not to be hurt when 
some of your friendships aren't 
as close as you always imagined they would be. 
You or your friends may get married or have a baby,
and their new family (usually) takes precedence over their old friendships.

Don't get me wrong - friends are a very important part of life. 

But something that I realized during 
my young adult years is that family really does come first. 
I'm closer to my parents and my sisters 
now than when I was 18, and it's awesome.

I wish someone would have told me
 at eighteen (or 15) that all the fights I had 
with my mom and siblings would stop one day, 
and that I would deeply regret all the disrespectful 
things I said and did during my teen years. 


3. Follow your dreams

As cliche as it sounds, this is one of the things that I wish
 I would have been reminded of more often at 18. 

 As I entered adulthood, I mistakenly believed 
that I would have to let go of 
(what I had been told were) "childish" dreams. 

I heard mocking remarks, from both adults and 
teens, about those who had dreams of being 
photographers, writers, actors, or fashion designers. 

"Well yes - those are fine dreams," 
they would say, "but how are you going to 
make a living doing something like that?"  

So, I convinced myself that I needed to choose 
something traditional to study in school.
Something that would make a logical and lucrative career.

Looking back now, I wish someone would have
 told me not to listen to the naysayers. 
I can think of many individuals who chose to 
follow their dreams at 18 and now, 
6 years later (or less) have already experienced success.

We live in an exciting time! Creative talent is highly valued in 
certain markets, and the internet makes opportunities possible that 
would have been extremely difficult just 15 years ago.      

So if you want to write a novel or design wedding dresses, 
then get on the path that will take you there! 
Don't let other people's opinions dim your confidence. 
Someone gets to do those things for their career - why not you?




***

Well there ya have it, the three things I wish I would 
have know at eighteen. 

Can you think of a few things you 
wish you would have know at 18? 

(Or if you are 18 - then stuff you 
wish you knew 5 years ago?)

I would love to hear the advice you have to share!
If you feel inspired to write your own blog 
post on this topic, please feel free to use the link below! 

Together we can create an amazing online resource for everyone about to adventure into an new phase of life. 

***
P.S.
 This link up has closed, but if you write a post that you would like to link-up
 just message meor comment below and I will reopen the link-up for you.
 Thanks!







3 comments

  1. So true! I agree with everything you mentioned. I definitely had a life plan that went nothing according to what I thought was going to happen...and it turned out much better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are all so on point - it bums me out so much when people say they lost the dreamer in them, or that they are cynical or critical and that's what being "adult" means. i don't think so! yes and yes to the unique time table (isn't THAT the truth that life never goes as planned) i think all of the friendships i cherish now are ones i've made post-high school, when my life became less superficial and more about being genuinely good. anyway, great idea and great thoughts! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I though life ended after 18. Turns out it didn't.

    /Avy

    http://mymotherfuckedmickjagger.blogspot.com


    ReplyDelete