The Life of Pi







This book was published back in 2001, so 
I'm sure many of you had the chance to read it.
But I wasn't interested in this book until I saw it 
a couple of months ago at the library, 
and I thought, "Hey, why not?" 

I was about half way through the book and still 
couldn't decide if I really liked it or not.
(Has that ever happened to you?) 
But I had heard so much praise about the story 
that I just kept reading - and I'm so glad I did!

I've never read a novel quite like this one. 
It's heavy in beauty and heartbreak. 
The story weaves together themes of: 
life and death, God and man, and enduring against all odds. 
It asks questions like: what does it mean to be human? 
and what is this reality we are experiencing called life?


Needless to say, I am in love with this story.  


This is my favorite quote from the novel:
“I must say a word about fear. It is life's only true opponent. Only fear can defeat life. It is a clever, treacherous adversary, how well I know. It has no decency, respects no law or convention, shows no mercy. It goes for your weakest spot, which it finds with unnerving ease. It begins in your mind, always ... so you must fight hard to express it. You must fight hard to shine the light of words upon it. Because if you don't, if your fear becomes a wordless darkness that you avoid, perhaps even manage to forget, you open yourself to further attacks of fear because you never truly fought the opponent who defeated you.” 



I think this is a great book to read if you are 
looking for a different perspective on life. 

***  

Have you read "The Life of Pi? 
What did you think? 

2 comments

  1. I haven't read the Life of Pi but I have seen the movie :) and I did love that! Unfortunately I haven't had a lot of time for recreational reading lately... haha just school textbooks! I can't wait until summer so I can read for fun again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen the movie yet because I'm trying to convince my husband to watch it with me. Ha! (he can be so stubborn sometimes)
      But I know what you mean about not having time to read for fun because of school. Just hang in there for a few more weeks! the semester is almost over. :)

      Delete