The Glass Castle - Book Review



I'm not sure where to begin, except by telling you that
 I will never forget this book. 

The book is a memoir of the author, Jeannette Walls 
who tells us about her childhood and teenage years.

Throughout the book, her life story is both remarkable 
and tragic at the same time, but it's the deplorable 
     events that make her triumphs all the more satisfying.    







This is a blurb from the back of the book: 

 The Glass Castle is a memoir of resilience and redemption, and a revelatory look into a family at once deeply dysfunctional and uniquely vibrant. When sober, Jeannette's brilliant and charismatic father captured his children's imagination, teaching them physics, geology, and how to embrace life fearlessly. But when he drank, he was dishonest and destructive. Her mother was a free spirit who abhorred the idea of domesticity and didn't want the responsibility of raising a family.
The Walls children learned to take care of themselves. They fed, clothed, and protected one another, and eventually found their way to New York. Their parents followed them, choosing to be homeless even as their children prospered.
The Glass Castle is truly astonishing--a memoir permeated by the intense love of a peculiar but loyal family

It surprised me how much I related to Jeannette in this story.
I never went hungry as a child or lived in as horrific conditions as her, but like hers, my family never had a home of our own. 

I won't go into all the details, 
but lets just say that for a few years my dad 
didn't believe in having a traditional job. 
(He has a very entrepreneurial spirit.)
 So we spent time living in a camping trailer,
a hotel, and in the basements of other family member's houses. 

But when you're young everything is an adventure, 
and this book portrays that perfectly. 

Her story has a modern day "fairy tale" feel about it. 
And I admire Jeannette fearlessness, not only in her life, 
but in her ability to share her story with all of us. 

I recommend this book to everyone.


***

Have you read The Glass Castle? 
What are your thoughts on it? 



1 comment

  1. Just stumbled upon your blog through Emily and I'm so happy to see this post as your second one on your page. This book seriously changed my perspective on sooo many thing and when people ask me for book recommendations I always tell them about this as the #1 read. Gosh I wouldn't even know where I start about expressing my opinion about it. The whole story is just so bittersweet.

    Xo.

    ReplyDelete