Letting go of Expectations

I'm a planner, a list maker, someone who has 
been know to plan every hour in a day. 

Lists of groceries, list of chores to do, people to call, assignments to complete. Checking each item off with satisfaction, and fretting about the unchecked, unfinished things. 

As a planner, I also have plans of how I think certain things in my life will be. I envision certain moments and I have specific ideas of what kind of life I want and what experiences I want to have - dreams you could call them. Dreams of what kind of atmosphere my home will have, dreams for my future family, dreams of things my husband and I will experience together. 

But sometimes my plans fall through or come crumbling down.
What do I normally do when one of my plans doesn't look like its going to be possible? 

I dig in my heels and I desperately try all that I can do to make it work and then sometimes I have a melt down.

One of the biggest life lessons I've had to learn in the past year is being able to let go of my expectations. I don't know if I'm the only person who struggles with this problem, but when a situation or moment doesn't meet my expectations then I consider it to have been a failure and because of this "black-and-white" type of thinking, I'm missing out on what could be some really beautiful moments and memories.

When do our hopes and dreams become expectations?

What if instead of fighting a situation to make it fit my expectation, I just let the situation unfurl by itself, without worry or regret? What if I just took the situation or the moment for what it was, and enjoyed it? 

What if I let go of my expectations? 






  I'm not letting go of my dreams or goals, but I am going to try and let go of my expectations attached to those dreams. 


"As we act in faith, we often find that the blessing from the Lord are different than we expected but much better than we imagined."
-Elder Neil L Andersen 

I'm not exactly sure how I will let go of my expectations, except to be aware of them, and consciously tell myself that I don't always know what's best for me, but that my Father in Heaven does know.


....


 If you have any advice for me or any stories you want to share about how letting go of expectations has help you in life, 
then I would love to hear from you!

I could really use some help with this. 


p.s. you might like to read: Three things I wish I knew at 18

2 comments

  1. This is a wonderful post, and I feel a lot of women suffer from this. I know that I used to as well. But somewhere between high school and my second year of college, everything changed for me. If my plans fall through, I can always count on something else happening that if my plans went according to the way that I wanted- I may have never got to experience. I'm not sure that I believe 'everything happens for a reason,' but it is a rather good philosophy to have for moments like these! Good luck, and I hope you can try to see the good in every situation (:
    Morrighan @ Elysian Fields
    ( http://ufbooks.blogspot.com )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I never really thought of it that way before.

    ReplyDelete