A Thousand Splendid Suns


This is a book about two women in Afghanistan and the struggles they face as the Taliban take over their country, but more than that, it is a story about perseverance, strength, and love.

I had never read a novel about about Afghanistan or it's people, and I was worried that I wouldn't be able to relate to the story - but I was wrong. I absolutely love this novel. I stayed up late into the night flipping pages, and finished reading it in two days. I could not put it down. During some moments, the story had my heart breaking apart, and then in other moments it had me close to crying tears of happiness.   





This is synopsis about the novel from Amazon.com:
Mariam is only fifteen when she is sent to Kabul to marry Rasheed. Nearly two decades later, a friendship grows between Mariam and a local teenager, Laila, as strong as the ties between mother and daughter. When the Taliban take over, life becomes a desperate struggle against starvation, brutality and fear. Yet love can move a person to act in unexpected ways, and lead them to overcome the most daunting obstacles with a startling heroism.


This is a beautiful story about wonderful characters, and one of the things that I enjoyed most about it was the theme of sisterhood. It left me with the thought that, it doesn't matter what part of the world we live in, we each need to work together to eradicate the suffering and suppression of women. After all, we could have easily been in their shoes and suffering through their trials, if we had been born in a different country.

This novel also left me with a respect for the women of Afghanistan, and a deeper understanding of their lives.   

These are some of my favorite quotes:

“You see, some things I can teach you. Some you learn from books. 
But there are things that, well, you have to see and feel.”

“A society has no chance of success if its women are uneducated...”

“Behind every trial and sorrow that He makes us shoulder, God has a reason.” 

“A woman who will be like a rock in a riverbed, enduring without complaint, her grace not sullied but shaped by the turbulence that washes over her.” 



Thanks for reading my review. 
If you would like your own copy of this novel then please click below:


A Thousand Splendid Suns


Do you have a favorite book you're reading right now? 

4 comments

  1. I should read this book. I read the Kite Runner and that was a really good book. I love to read and right now I'm reading A Fork in the Road which is so far so good!

    xo T.
    initialed.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the book suggestion! I'll have to check it out. :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my very favorite books- I read it about four years ago and I still think about some of the scenes from time to time. Every twist genuinely took me by surprise, and I felt so so much for those two women. It was such a beautiful story. Great pick!

    xo marlen
    Messages on a Napkin

    ReplyDelete