Blue Like Jazz

I love reading. The written word has such a powerful way of expressing ideas and emotions. I love how books carry on conversations with all of those who read them, and how they have the ability to actually become a part of you by influencing how you think and feel.  

I want to use this blog as a place where I share things that I enjoy and where I can share thoughts and ideas that are inspirational to me in my life. 

And reading thought provoking and enlightening books, brings me some of my greatest happiness in life. I'm so grateful that I was taught to read.  

Recently I finished read the book, "Blue Like Jazz" and I can not stop thinking about it.  


photo credit



This book is funny, honest, and beautiful. Most importantly though, it is meaningful. It will help you look inside your mind and heart. I cannot recommend this book enough. If you identify yourself as a Christian this is a definite must read, and if you don't care for or even don't like Christians then this is a definite must read.

To give you a taste of the book, here are a few quotes from it:


"I want my spirituality to rid me of hate, not give me reason for it."

"Christian spirituality was not a children's story. It wasn't cute or neat. It was mystical and odd and clean, and it was reaching into dirty. There was wonder in it and enchantment."

"I think that every living person, every person who is awake to the functioning principles within his reality has a moment where he stops blaming the problems in the world on group thinking, on humanity and authority, and starts to face himself. I hate this more than anything. This is the hardest principle within christian spirituality for me to deal with. The problem is not out there, the problem is the needy beast of a thing living in my chest." 
 - Donald Miller, Blue Like Jazz: Nonreligious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality


I seriously loved this book. Miller has such an honest approach to his writing and the presentation of his different struggles and heartfelt ideas. Read it. You'll like it.      






No comments