Thoughts on Marriage

We attended two different weddings over the long Memorial Day weekend and also because J.R. and I just celebrated our second wedding anniversary - I wanted to share with you one of my favorite quotes about marriage. 

Our Wedding Day
photo credit to: Bellissima Images

"Marriage is perhaps the most vital of all the decisions and has the most far-reaching effects, for it has to do not only with immediate happiness, but also with eternal joys. Many stories of fiction end with marriage and "They lived happily ever after." We have come to realize that the mere performance of a ceremony does not bring happiness and a successful marriage. Happiness is a state of mind and comes from within. It cannot be purchased with money; it cannot be taken for nothing. Some think of happiness as a glamorous life of ease, luxury, and constant thrills; but true marriage is based on a happiness which is more than that, one which comes from giving, serving, sharing, sacrificing, and selflessness. Lasting happiness is possible, and marriage can be more of an exultant ecstasy than the human mind can conceive. This is within the reach of every couple, every person." - President Spencer W. Kimball  


To me this quote is uplifting and enlightening in many different ways. It gives us a secret about how to find happiness and also gives us hope that this happiness is available to each person. 



Us - Just one week before we got married. 



I love J.R. with all my heart, but I am an imperfect person and so sometimes I fail at being a good wife and friend. I learned this weekend how important it is to respect your spouse in every word and action. I realized just how hard it is to take back words that are said out of frustration or in anger. It can be hard to erase the hurt and damage that angry words cause to your relationship. 

I just hope that J.R. and I can always forgive and love each other - even when we may not be very "lovable" at the time. 

"Never let a problem to be solved become more important than a person to be loved." - President Thomas S. Monson


 I need to remind myself of this often. Sometimes I magnify problems so that they seem all consuming, but I am learning just how important it is to be loving and kind - especially when things don't go as planned. 



1 comment

  1. What a great example you are! I get consumed far too much with the kids and need to be a better wife. Thank you for the quote.

    ReplyDelete