Wisdom Teeth Love Story

I don't remember much about the day I had my wisdom teeth removed, but I'll tell you what I do remember: 

J.R. was there with me and we were in the middle of our wedding engagement. So all I had been thinking about for weeks was: flowers, dresses, cakes, and invitations. I hadn't given much thought to this surgery I was about to have. 

Before the procedure the doctor warned me, "When most people wake up from anesthesia, they are either angry or upset and crying. So just prepare yourself for that." 
I had never been "put under" before, so I didn't know how I would react. 

A nurse walked us back into a room and I laid down in the dental chair. I was nervous now, but I wanted to be tough. Trying to stay calm, I just kept telling myself to relax. The nurse put the needle in my arm, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. 

My body started to get heavy and my breathing slowed. I smiled at J.R. and thought to myself, "Even when I'm nervous - I'm really great at this relaxing thing." Then I wondered if it was the medicine making me feel that way. "Nah. It couldn't have worked that fast." I told myself. 

J.R. got up and held my hand. I remember thinking how much I love his hands. We whispered "I love you" to each other and then the nurse told me to count back from 20. . . I don't remember what number I got to. 

I don't remember a lot about the rest of the day, but I do vividly remember having a dream about flowers - beautiful gorgeous wedding flowers. I remember a women's voice telling me to, "Wake up and open your eyes." I tried so hard to lift my eyelids, but they just would not open. I drifted in and out between a heaven like dream world and consciousness. 
I didn't know where I was, and I didn't care. 

Then, I heard a women say, "Come right this way. She's just waking up"... "Candace, J.R. is here to see you now."

"He's here!?" I shouted in my dream to myself. I was beyond excited that J.R. was actually here. Even though I didn't know where "here" was. All I knew is that we were together and that was all I cared about. 
To me, it felt like months since I had been with him. I wanted to be close to him, but I couldn't see him. I couldn't even open my eyes. 

Then his huge hand was wrapped around mine. I heard him say, "How are you honey?" 
"I'm great." I sighed, "I just want to feel you." My hand left his and started moving up his arm. In my mind, I just had to know it was him. I just had to feel him. 
My hand moved across his shoulder and up his neck, then onto his face. "Yes. It really IS J.R. and he is here with me. I love him so much." I thought to myself. 

I remember being so comforted and at peace knowing that J.R. was here, that I stopped the fight to stay awake and I passed back into blissful unconsciousness - with my hand still on his face. 

I don't remember walking out of the dental office. I don't remember telling multiple nurses that I loved them or that I thought they were beautiful. I don't remember the ride home, how I got into my mom's house, or half of the day. 

But I do remember thinking, "J.R, is going to take care of me and everything is going to be alright because he is here."

Which was true. And I will always remember that. 




1 comment